[mythtv-users] diskless Mythtv USB

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Sat Aug 19 02:46:29 UTC 2006

R. G. Newbury wrote:
> I am about to set up a PXE network boot setup. I have seen it stated in
> different places that you need to have the boot server running as the
> DHCP server and also that you do not need the boot server to also be the
> DHCP server. The page linked above gives details for the dhcpd.conf file
> which clearly show that the DHCP server can serve static IP addresses to
> specific MAC addresses. This implies that the DHCP server can be on a
> different machine..but your Linksys router is not likely to have the
> flexibility to do it! I know that mine cannot.

are you running the stock LinkSys firmware?  I believe with the DD-WRT
firmware installed you can send extra DHCP commands, such as telling PXE
where to boot ... i haven't tried this yet, however ... but the DD-WRT
does blow away the stock LinkSys firmware as far as features!

> So you will likely have to turn off the router's DHCP server...but then
> again, in a small network, why would that be a problem? Just go all
> static and get the DHCP server to serve up a static address. A dynamic
> address is really only useful for things like wireless... but a static
> address is a lot safer for wireless especially if you add a MAC address
> filter.

how is a static address safer for wireless if you add a MAC address
filter?  i have my network setup so that my mythboxes and server are
statically set via DHCP (on my LinkSys) ... wireless any other devices
are dynamically assigned ... MAC address filter only allows both of my
laptops, nothing more ...

-g-