[mythtv-users] diskless Mythtv USB

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Aug 17 17:06:21 UTC 2006

I have the same motherboard.
I have been working on installing FC5 to a THinkpad T40 where the CDROM
is broken.

Regarding booting from USB or net, check out

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Installing_Fedora_Core_4_on_a_ThinkPad_X41_Tablet#USB_Boot_Preparation

where the poster discusses installing FC5 to a Thinkpad X41 (which has
no optical drive).

I suggest that you actually check your USB key by writing diskboot.img
to it and attempting to boot the motherboard. (It will launch the Fedora
install process). I have tried 3 different USB memory sticks and
consistently get a 'Boot Error' on the Thinkpad T40.

I am about to set up a PXE network boot setup. I have seen it stated in
different places that you need to have the boot server running as the
DHCP server and also that you do not need the boot server to also be the
DHCP server. The page linked above gives details for the dhcpd.conf file
which clearly show that the DHCP server can serve static IP addresses to
specific MAC addresses. This implies that the DHCP server can be on a
different machine..but your Linksys router is not likely to have the
flexibility to do it! I know that mine cannot.

So you will likely have to turn off the router's DHCP server...but then
again, in a small network, why would that be a problem? Just go all
static and get the DHCP server to serve up a static address. A dynamic
address is really only useful for things like wireless... but a static
address is a lot safer for wireless especially if you add a MAC address
filter.

Geoff