[mythtv-users] WinTV PVR-250 vs 350

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Aug 16 15:43:33 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 17:14 -0400, Isaac Richards wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 August 2006 5:08 pm, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 14:55 -0500, David Schmidt wrote:
> > > There's absolutely no reason to choose the higher priced 250 over the
> > > 150, unless you can pick up a 250 cheaper used or on clearance.
> >
> > Not true, NTSC closed captioning isn't working with the 150 and the
> > 250 creates a higher quality capture. The capture quality is improving
> > with the 150/500 cards and someday the ivtv driver might support
> > caption embedding on the 150/500, but for now 250 is the way to go
> > if you want captions or want the best quality analog capture.
>
> ivtv's done CC embedding on the 150/500 for a while now.

In an SVN revision? I know there was a patch available in April,
but I didn't think it made it into 7.0 (not in changelog), and
last I checked (a couple weeks ago) captioning was not yet working
with the new API..

I'm using the in kernel ivtv drivers here and the quality of the
PVR-500 recordings has increased immensely, but there are still
way too many denoising artifacts. It sort of looks like an often
played video tape recorded in ELP mode.

-- Daniel