[mythtv-users] Babelbox: A potentially useful new low-cost frontend?

Luke Rosenthal mythtv at harderstuff.net
Wed Aug 16 03:49:49 UTC 2006

>> Don't know what the cost of one is in the UK, but in the US, we can
>> get XBoxes for about $129, which is less than half of the cost of the
>> BableBox. Plus, MythTV is already running on it (somewhat slowly,
>> though, due to low RAM).
>
> Yeah, but it's big, damn ugly, power hungry and doesn't have nicities
> like an IR port. And of course there's the fact that it was made by MS,
> meaning it'll eat your pets, crap on the floor, and then slit your throat
> while you sleep ;-) --
> Steve Boddy

Would MythFrontend work on PC104 hardware?  633mHz processor, 256mb RAM,
20gb IDE laptop hard drive, onboard everything (inc 100mbit LAN,
integrated graphics, not sure what kind).  I've got FC3 running on it
fine, but not X, yet.

While we're on the topic of Myth on Xbox running slowly, how slow is
slowly?  Can the Xbox have more ram installed?

One more question (sorry, I lurk, and rarely post, so I end up collecting
related questions in my head, then firing them all off at once) - I have
Myth front & backend running on a 2gHz P4, 1gb RAM.  Performance when
moving around in the menus is really sluggish.  It watches livetv fine,
recordings are fine, even skipping around in the recordings is ok, but
keypresses on the keyboard take ages to respond.  The worst offender is
the interface to previous recordings.  It's like mythfrontend is waiting
for some other input on the keyboard or something.  I haven't gotten
around to getting the remote working yet (I'm one of those having trouble
with the DViCO Dual Digital driver).  Any comments?  It's usable, but
quite slow.

Luke.