[mythtv-users] LVM Problem -- Please Help

Tom+Dale tdmyth at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 22:52:19 UTC 2006

John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote: Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:56:33 -0400
From: "John Drescher" <drescherjm at gmail.com>
To: Tom+Dale <tdmyth at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] LVM Problem -- Please Help

> Well, it was working (despite the loud clicking) before I shut down and
> disconnected it.  After booting up with the drive re-connected, it
> appears to be running physically, but the "Device /dev/sda not found."
> error was confusing to me as well.  I assume that this is why the other
> commands are not working.  Should linux have picked up the /dev/sda
> on boot once it was re-connected, despite my earlier mistake of b
> ooting once without it connected?

Spinning is not enough for a drive to work. To me it sounds like you
have a fatal drive head crash where one of the read/write heads have
hit the drive platter itself (normally the heads float on a very fine
layer of air just above the platter but not actually in contact) which
causes physical damage to the heads and the dirve platters. If the
damage is so severe the heads will not read anything.

John
Thanks for your responses, John.  I apologize about replying directly instead of to the list--I need to pay attention to the "To:" line.  :-)

Considering the clicking sound, I realize that the drive may have fatally crashed; however, it was operating until I disconnected it.  I guess I'd just like some confirmation on these questions:

1) Is the error about not finding /dev/sda a definitive reason as to why the other commands failed (pvcreate -u...  & vgcfgrestore -tn ...)?  It seems to me that the drive needed a successful pvcreate in order to be added to the volume group, but I confess that I don't remember precisely how things transpired.  So if linux doesn't see it right away, does that mean it's dead?

2) If the drive was not dead, should linux have picked up the /dev/sda on boot once it was re-connected, despite my earlier mistake of booting once without it connected?

3) If the drive is okay, and /dev/sda were being recognized, how would I go about re-linking the UUID to the physical volume?

4) Can an identical replacement drive be put in and given the UUID in order to recover data from the rest of the logical volume?

Thanks again to anyone who can assist!