[mythtv-users] Strange ALSA mute behaviour?

jonny Linux jonnylinux at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 16:50:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've finally decided to start using ALSA for MythTV (I was using OSS but I'd
rather be able to play 2 things at once). I have an intel8x0 sound card on
an IC-7 motherboard, running Fedora Core 5.

Since changing I've noticed a couple of problems with muting the sound.

1. Sometimes when I press the mute button, the volume is much lower, but is
definitely still playing (very quietly). This "muted/quiet" volume is
affected by the volume of the PCM slider in gnome-volume-control. i.e. if I
turn the PCM slider down to around 20% I can no longer hear the sound, but
if I turn it to around 60% I can definitely hear the audio.

2. The most irritating thing is after exiting and entering a muted
recording, I sometimes find I can't unmute from MythTV, and I have to use
gnome-volume-control to unmute it - but then if I try to adjust the volume
from MythTV, it instantly becomes muted again.

The sound settings I'm using are:
Audio output device: ALSA:default
Use Internal Volume Controls
Mixer device: default
Mixer controls: Master (although I still get problem 2 with PCM)

Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jonny