[mythtv-users] Which MythTV to use?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Aug 5 15:38:07 UTC 2006

On 08/05/2006 11:18 AM, Cool Frood wrote:
> I've been using the stable 0.19 release in my new setup.  When I
> decided to try out MythStream, I realised that it is more or less in
> sync with MythTV svn, so I wasn't able to compile it.

Uh.  Why not compile the version that doesn't say, "compiles with MythTV
SVN"--you know, the version that says, "Compiles with MythTV 0.19
release"?  (Install 0.16_5 and you're good to go.)

>   My question is,
> what's a good version of MythTV to run, because the 0.19 release seems
> to be getting a little old.

0.19-fixes

>   Being a developer myself, I don't mind if
> I have to fix a line of code here or there if I run into some trouble,
> but at the same time, I don't want a system that's too unstable.  Is
> it OK to run the latest SVN?

Iff you're willing to subscribe to /and/ _read_ the -dev and -commits
lists.  This is a pretty big commitment of your time, so how much time
do you want to spend on MythTV?  If you just want a good PVR, use the
stable version.  If you want to spend a bunch of time working
on/learning about/keeping up with MythTV, feel free to run SVN.

> Also, is the latest SVN going to be compatible with my 0.19 database,
> or will I to make some changes?

The latest SVN automatically updates your database--meaning you can
never go back to 0.19 (except from a backup), so make sure you're
serious if you really do upgrade.  And, with 0.20 arriving "soon", it
may make more sense to just wait rather than going the SVN route.

Mike