[mythtv-users] Success! at long last. Thanks

H P Ladds householdwords at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 20:25:06 UTC 2006

Thanks William.

On 8/4/06, William < wmunson at rochester.rr.com> wrote:
> Your permissions on /video are read,write for root only.

I'm confused. Aren't the permissons for the owner of dev/video0 rw. Isn't
mythtv the owner of /dev/video0?  Shouldn't mythtv have rw permissions?

 $ ls -l /dev/video0
> > crw-------  1 mythtv root 81, 0 Aug  3 08:15 /dev/video0

 Mythtv did not lock the dir.

I wonder how it got locked -- perhaps udev did.

chmod 777 /video would have fixed the problem
> too.

I gave 777 a try, and surprisingly, it didn't work. Even more interesting,
the permissions for the dev reset to 600 after reboot. I believe this is
also a function of udev.

I think it's time for me to learn more about udev.