[mythtv-users] Success! at long last. Thanks

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Aug 4 15:44:39 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
I don't see that user mythtv should have any difficulties here, but I've
discovered the problem:

/video is a directory that is used in the administration of MythTV.
Coincidentally , I used /video in mythtv-setup as the location to store
videos. Appearently, Mythtv locks the /video directory (see below);
therefore non-root users were denied access  to /video.

$ ls -l /video
total 0
?---------  ? ? ? ?           ? .
?---------  ? ? ? ?           ? ..
?---------  ? ? ? ?           ? nfslockfile.lock
(Note: the above is displayed in flashing red and white).

I changed the where videos will be stores in mythtv-setup to /recordings,
and shazaam! the user mythtv can operate MythTV -- with improved video
quality I might add.

Mythtv did not lock the dir. Your permissions on /video are read,write for
root only. Nobody else even has read access to the dir and you were trying
to read it as the mythtv user. chmod 777 /video would have fixed the problem
too.