[mythtv-users] Storage on SAN

Damien Whyte damien.whyte at thalesatm.com
Wed Aug 2 09:12:40 UTC 2006

jmyers at huskywatch.com wrote:

> I have a server with about 3TB of storage, and was thinking about
> having my Myth box store it's recordings on this other Linux box to
> utilise this extra space. I am concerned however about the potential
> for the latency over ethernet causing problems with the recording. Has
> anyone tried this or have any thoughts on this?

I have a diskless frontend/slave backend that stores recordings on a a
master backend via NFS (as well as it's root partition). Initially I had
poor performance writing to the NFS disk which made capture from the
diskless machine's DVB card problematic.

Initially I was getting a write speed over NFS of somewhere in the order
of 200 kilobytes/s. This was clearly inadequate. Once I tracked down the
problems in my NFS configuration however the situation improved greatly.