[mythtv-users] Myth Box Components

Sérgio Gaspar smmg at nukitel.com
Thu Sep 22 22:30:36 UTC 2005

>     >
>     What chipset would suggest then?

I have turned to nVidia, but SiS and Uli are probably fully functional
too with PVR500MCE. It is probably some bug or unimplemented feature on
VIA chipsets which does not apply to other chipset manufacturers. I have
read somewhere (probably on this list) that Asus was able to overcome
this problem with just a BIOS update but don't count on that for a
definitive solution. My experience as a firmware programmer tells me
that you can hide some hardware bugs behind software workarounds, but
eventually they will come up again later.

At first I was reluctant about nVidia because they were the new kid on
the block in respect to system chipsets, but they have proven to me they
are worthy. I am very happy with my board using an nForce3 chipset (for
the Athlon 64).

Others will be better qualified to answer specifically on Sis and Uli.

The final choice is yours, of course.

Good luck.