[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Tue Sep 20 02:42:03 UTC 2005

Scot L. Harris wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 18:12, Bruce Markey wrote:
>
>>Scot L. Harris wrote:
>>
>>>Well the magic seems to be missing from my configuration.  :)
>>
>>There is no magic. That post was very misleading. Cards must be
>>configured locally. You must add the slave card by running
>>mythtv-setup on the slave host.

>>>5. in mythtvsetup  on SBE execute steps 1, 2  (note if I try step 4 I
>>>don't see any option other than none for the video source)
>>
>>This is a bad sign. If you are connecting to the same ddatabase
>>as your master backend, it will show the same list of video sources
>>as you see from the master.
>>
>>The most common cause of this (and this should have been mentioned
>>in this thread by now) is that you may be connecting to a different
>>mysqld most likely running on the slave host. This won't work. All
>>frontends and backends that need to work together need to connect
>>to the same database.
>>
>>On your slave host, "/etc/init.d/mysqld stop" and/or "killall mysqld"
>>If (when) mythtv-setup fails to connect to any database, get to
>>work on configuring your master's mysqld to allow remote connections
>>and access for a remote "mythtv" user and set the parameters in your
>>mysql.txt file.

mysql.txt file on the slave host.

> Will go through this again.  I know it is some simple step that I
> missed.  I have indications that the SBE is able to connect to the MBE
> but it does not seem to be a full connection.
>
> Do I even need to run mysql on the SBE?

Absolutely not. Did you read the message?

>   I tried disabling mysqld on the
> SBE but mythbackend would not startup.

Obviously. Now that you've established that, re-read what I wrote.
You're slave has been connecting to a different database than your
master. The slave needs to connect to the same database as the master.

See: http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-9.html#ss9.3 and
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#modify_perm_mysql

--  bjm