[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend system

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Tue Sep 20 00:25:34 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 18:12, Bruce Markey wrote:
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> > Well the magic seems to be missing from my configuration.  :)
>
> There is no magic. That post was very misleading. Cards must be
> configured locally. You must add the slave card by running
> mythtv-setup on the slave host.

> > 5. in mythtvsetup  on SBE execute steps 1, 2  (note if I try step 4 I
> > don't see any option other than none for the video source)
>
> This is a bad sign. If you are connecting to the same ddatabase
> as your master backend, it will show the same list of video sources
> as you see from the master.
>
> The most common cause of this (and this should have been mentioned
> in this thread by now) is that you may be connecting to a different
> mysqld most likely running on the slave host. This won't work. All
> frontends and backends that need to work together need to connect
> to the same database.
>
> On your slave host, "/etc/init.d/mysqld stop" and/or "killall mysqld"
> If (when) mythtv-setup fails to connect to any database, get to
> work on configuring your master's mysqld to allow remote connections
> and access for a remote "mythtv" user and set the parameters in your
> mysql.txt file.

Will go through this again.  I know it is some simple step that I
missed.  I have indications that the SBE is able to connect to the MBE
but it does not seem to be a full connection.

Do I even need to run mysql on the SBE?  I tried disabling mysqld on the
SBE but mythbackend would not startup.   If it is not using the local
copy of mysqld then I would think it would startup.  Unless this is an
indication of the actual problem.  Maybe I'm getting close to figuring
this out.

> Once you can connect from your slave host and mythtv-setup sees your
> existing video sources, then you can move forward by; checking the IP
> addresses in General, adding your local card(s), and associating your
> inputs with your existing sources.
>
> --  bjm

Thanks for helping me try to figure this out.