[mythtv-users] Sweet! PC HD3000 QAM_256 working, now about importing those channels?

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 03:10:19 UTC 2005

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

I'm making a few edits, just to clear up a few things I hit following these
directions. Hopefully this will also help others.

On 9/16/05, Jason Beck <jasonbeck777 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> If your provider is not kind enough to send the PSIP
> info you will have to add the channels manually to the
> database.
>
> I'll try to explain how using you channels.conf as an
> example. The database tables that need to be modified
> are channel and dtv_multiplex. dtv_multiplex should
> be populated by the channel scan and the channel table
> you will need to modify yourself. Below is an example
> of how you would setup your NBC (assuming
> ch#707)channel in Myth.
>

> 1.) go to zap2it and build your listing for your local
> HD broadcast channels.

And this is documented elsewhere, but I it's probably a good place to note:
uncheck all the channels you don't intend to receive. In my case, there are
only 4 HDTV channels I can receive from my cable system.

2.) assign that listing to your dvb 3k in mythtvsetup
> 3.) go into the channel editor (still in mythtvsetup)
> select your new listing and do a scan (select type
> "cable")

You need to stop mythbackend before step 3) above or else the scan can't get
ahold of the card to do it's thing.

Maybe it's just me, but I had to be sure to arrow-down and select "Finish".
The first time through I just hit the Enter key and the results of the scan
didn't show up in the Channels window (so Cancel was probably highlighted.)

The scan will take some time. Mostly likely you won't
> really get anything useful, but what this will do it
> populate the dtv_multiplex table in your db. You will
> need this later on.
>
> 4.) exit mythtvsetup and run mythfilldatabase. This
> will now provide you with your xmltvids to callsign
> mappings.

mythtv-setup may complain on exit about the start channel not existing, at
this point, I chose "I know what I'm doing" (or something like that ;-) and
exited.

I'm not positive, but I think mythbackend should be running when you run
mythfilldatabase (maybe it doesn't matter, and if that's the case, someone
can correct me.) I started mythbackend back up before running
mythfilldatabase.

At this point you still will not be able to tune
> anything yet so don't try.
>
> 5.) ***Important*** stop mythbackend.
> 6.) edit your channels.conf and remove your PSIP
> values. You don't need them for Myth. So your file
> will look like this.
>
> NBC:561000000:QAM_256:0:0
> ABC:561000000:QAM_256:0:0
> CBS:567000000:QAM_256:0:0
> FOX:567000000:QAM_256:0:0
>
> 7.) go ahead and fire up azap and tune a channel.
> $ azap -r NBC
> 8.) in a second terminial run dvbscan -c
> $ dvbscan -c
>
> What you need is the serviceid. This is the number in
> the [000#] at the far left. Your provider will most
> likely be using the same frequency for multiple
> channels. So you may have more then one service per
> freq. In this example your serviceid for NBC would be
> 2.
>
> Example:
> dumping lists (1 services)
> [0002] (0x0002) 00: PCR == V V
> 0x0010 A 0x0011 (eng)

In my go at it, here's what dvbscan -c found for one azap tuned channel:

dumping lists (3 services)
[0001] (0x0001) 00: PCR == V V 0x0010 A 0x0011
[0003] (0x0003) 00: PCR == V V 0x0090 A 0x0091 (eng)
[0002] (0x0002) 00: PCR == V V 0x0050 A 0x0051 (eng)

Now stop your dvbscan and azap tune.

> 9.) log into your database.
> $mysql -u root -p mythconverg
>
> To tune the 3k you will need to find the mplexid for
> you known frequency.
>
> 10.) finding the mplexid
> mysql> select mplexid from dtv_multiplex where
> frequency = '561000000';
> +---------+
> | mplexid |
> +---------+
> | 25 |
> +---------+
> 1 row in set (0.01 sec)
>
> Write down the mplexid value. For example sake we
> will say it was 25.

Hmmm. I got this far, only to find the DVB QAM scan found two frequencies I
wasn't expecting and neither of the ones my manual dvbscan found. Go Figure!

select frequency from dtv_multiplex;
+-----------+
| frequency |
+-----------+
| 717000000 |
| 579000000 |
+-----------+

I went back into mythtv-setup, to channel editor, and chose to import (my
already edited) channels.conf file. BTW, I am running the MythTV CVS version
I got earlier today. I don't think 18.1 let you import a
channels.confthough the mythtv-setup app.

This seemed to work. Back in the database:

mysql> select frequency from dtv_multiplex;
+-----------+
| frequency |
+-----------+
| 717000000 |
| 579000000 |
| 561000000 |
| 567000000 |
+-----------+

561 and 567 MHz are the channels I was expecting to find.

mysql> select mplexid from dtv_multiplex where frequency = '561000000';
+---------+
| mplexid |
+---------+
| 3 |
+---------+

mysql> select mplexid from dtv_multiplex where frequency = '567000000';
+---------+
| mplexid |
+---------+
| 4 |
+---------+

11.) Now you are ready to setup the channel. You have
> the freqency (561000000),mplexid(25),and the
> serviceid(2). Assuming that you now have a channel
> 707 from the previous mythfilldatabase above.

Confirmed the mythfilldatabase gave me the channels I wanted:

mysql> select channum from channel;
+---------+
| channum |
+---------+
| 0 |
| 0 |
| 0 |
| 0 |
| 704 |
| 705 |
| 707 |
| 709 |
| 85#0 |
| 85#1 |
+---------+

There are some duds in there, but also the ones I want (in the 700 range).
Hopefully I can delete the rest later.

mysql> update channel set freqid="561000000" where
> channum=707;
> mysql> update channel set mplexid="25" where
> channum=707;
> mysql> update channel set serviceid="2" where
> channum=707;
>
> You may want to do a quick check to make sure all
> looks good.
>
> mysql> select * from channel where channum=707;
> mysql> quit
>
> 12.) Start mythbackend

After this step, I went back into mythtv-setup before proceeding and set my
start channel to 704, since that should be a valid channel now.

13.) Start up the frontend and test.

I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!!! IT WORKS!!!!!! :) :) :)

I went back to add the other three channels. Killed mythbackend so I could
tune with azap and dvbscan -c. repeated the step 11 sequence for my other 3
QAM channels. My other three channels ended up being:

freq,mplexid,serviceid
561000000,3,3
567000000,4,1
567000000,4,3

I don't know if this is "normal" or unique to my cable system (Adelphia) but
the dvbscan -c found a serviceid of 2 inbetween 1 and 3 on both frequencies
but it wouldn't tune / Myth reported it was encrypted. Using serviceids 1
and 3 did the trick.

In the end, this is what the relevant stuff looks like in my channel table
in MySQL:

mysql> select chanid,channum,freqid,mplexid,serviceid,callsign,xmltvid from
channel;
+--------+---------+-----------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+
| chanid | channum | freqid | mplexid | serviceid | callsign | xmltvid |
+--------+---------+-----------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+
| 1704 | 704 | 561000000 | 3 | 1 | WRCDT | 19578 |
| 1707 | 707 | 561000000 | 3 | 3 | WJLADT | 19579 |
| 1709 | 709 | 567000000 | 4 | 1 | WUSADT | 19580 |
| 1705 | 705 | 567000000 | 4 | 3 | WTTGDT | 20367 |
+--------+---------+-----------+---------+-----------+----------+---------+

-- A couple of things I ran across later with the 3k.
> By default the 3k will be set to record in PS mode. I
> had wierd fastforward and rewind problems. In
> mythtvsetup under capture cards-->dvb-->Advanced
> settings I selected the "Use TS instead of PS" option
> and the ffw and rew problems went away.

Hmm, I remember seeing that setting, but in the CVS version I am running
(maybe .19.2)... it doesn't appear there in the advanced section. On the
other hand, I am not seeing FF or RWD problems in limited use, maybe it has
been defaulted to your preferred setting.

I hope this helps. I just went through this about a
> week ago and it was not easy to find all of the info.
> Alot for trial and error. Let me know how it works
> out for you...

Oh, it helped immensely! Thank you so much! I hope my feedback helps you or
someone else in a similar situation.

The only problem left (well, I'm sure I will find more ;-) ... the audio is
great in my first two channels (704 and 705) however, there is no audio in
707 or 709. I can't figure out what the pattern is there since 704 uses
service id 1 and 705 uses service id 3 and they both use different
frequencies; so the audio problem doesn't seem to be localized to the either
the frequency or the service id.