[mythtv-users] HDTV MythTV parts list

Brian McEntire brian.mcentire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 20:18:19 UTC 2005

Okay - I started this thread, hope it's okay if I chime back in :)

I was just about to order the parts, but I came across a couple of stumbling
blocks:

I'm generally seeing recommendations for the FX5200 Nvidia cards for their
onboard MPEG2 decoding ... makes them a good candidate for HDTV out, and
that's what I'm building this for. NOW, the hard part... should I get an AGP
4x/8x version or a regular PCI version? I can't seem to find a PCI Express
version. If I got with AGP, it limit's my motherboard options to older
chipsets, like the Intel 865PE. If I went with a PCI card, I could get the
Intel 925XP or another newer chipset. So, the question is... what's more
important -- the AGP bus bandwitdth or the possibility for a newer chipset
to take better advantage of a 3.4 GHz CPU?

The other question is, what's a good audio card with SPDIF optical out? I'd
prefer one that sounds good and is well supported to one that may be great
but not widely used. Right now I'm looking at the:
*AOpen Cobra AW870LP 8 (7.1) Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI

*If a Soundblaster Audigy is a better choice, can someone help me with which
model? There seem to be hundreds of them (okay, slight over statement :)