[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

mrmagoo mrmag00p at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 06:36:56 UTC 2005

I have a question about RAID+LVM I honestly couldn't understand. I'm
assuming you are using RAID5 or some other kind that can't be resized; what
is the benefit of using an LVM on such? From what I read, the LVM would be
set to md0 and if you wanted to add another drive you'd need to add a new md
device, aka 3+ more drives and a lost drive's worth space.

So, in this kind of case, is there any point of even using it?

I just recently lost 250x4 in a RAID5 due to 1 drive failing and the
filesystem on another drive getting completly corrupted. I'm still not sure
what happened, but the SATA controller went poof and I think heat is to
blame (my fault). I'm still at a loss as to what filesystem I should use,
but was leaning twords XFS.

Also just googling while writing this message I stumbled upon
http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-raid@vger.kernel.org/msg01981.html ,
mentioning EVMS ( http://evms.sourceforge.net ). In particular it says it
supports resizing RAID5, and it looks like you could do
mdadm->EVMS(resize)->mdadm. I know nothing about this, has anyone used it
before? It's still updated, while raidreconf doesn't appear to be.