[mythtv-users] Better think twice before choosing an FS especially for LVM

Andrew McNabb amcnabb at mcnabbs.org
Fri Sep 16 02:52:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 03:41:05PM -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> What exactly are you achieving by using raid5?  Does the phrase Raid5
> make you feel invinsible?

As you have said, there are lots of possible types of failure, and
someone who thinks that raid will save them from everything is an idiot.

However, I use raid in conjunction with LVM on my myth box, and I've
been really happy with it.  For me, the issue is that the more hard
drives you have, the greater the frequency of failure.  As someone who
has seen a lot of dead hard drives, I believe that normal hard drive
failure is my weakest link.  Just a few weeks ago I had a disk die, and
raid saved me (and my roommates who use mythtv) a lot of inconvenience.
Of course, I also do backups of important data.

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/