[mythtv-users] Noise and whether to split the client and server

Mark Kundinger mkundinger at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 16 03:46:25 UTC 2005

Noise is, of course, very subjective.  My system is a very simple combo
box (small form factor case, HDD, small CPU fans).  My small apartment
is not a quiet place though, near the kitchen and computer desk,
windows usually open with some road noise.  If either the fridge or my
regular computer are on, then I cannot hear the mythbox at all.  If
they're box off, then I can hear it, but only when I'm not playing any
TV or music.

Incidentally, I'm using a seagate barracuda drive, which is pretty
quiet, it's only noticeable during serious disk activity, like booting.
 The real killer is the *power supply* fan, which is not readily
replaceable due to the proprietary case.  But this means that if you
were using the same system in a diskless config, it would be just as
loud.

So, the first step if you're looking to avoid noise, I'd start with a
case with a quiet power supply, then work my way out.