[mythtv-users] Are there any docs that describe the split between mythfrontend and mythbackend?

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Fri Sep 16 02:35:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-15 at 21:33, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> W.Kenworthy wrote:
>
> >Are there any docs that describe the split between mythfrontend and
> >mythbackend?  Where are the files stored, which has the tv cards, which
> >has the database (backend) and so on.  This seems to be missing from the
> >website docs.
> >

> The backend has capture cards.  The frontend plays back recordings and
> executes the plugins (MythVideo, MythMusic, MythGame, MythWeather,
> MythGallery, MythNews, MythBrowser, etc.).
>
> Files can be stored on any network-accessible filesystem.  Database can
> be on any network-accessible host.  In other words, the filesystem and
> database are not "a part" of Myth.  The same holds true for Apache--if
> using MythWeb, it can be hosted on any web server with network access to
> the database and the backend.
>
> All of these can be on the same physical machine or can be spread out
> across as many different machines as you have to spare...  In other
> words, there's no requirement for a particular configuration (which is
> why it's not really documented--too many variations possible).

Can you explain how a slave backend/front end system works with a master
backend/front end system?  Setting this up for the first time this
weekend and am not sure I understand how this will work.

If I understand the install process correctly I set up the slave
backend/front end system just like the master backend/front end except I
don't run mythfilldatabase and configure the slave to point to the
backend system.

What I am not sure about is if I need to setup nfs to mount the /video
from the master on the slave system.  And if I don't does the slave
backend have a way to save the recorded files to the /video file system
on the master?

I suspect mythgallery requires nfs mount of the picture directory.

Any other pointers for such a setup?