[mythtv-users] PVR-500 + VIA KT400 = rebooting? black magic problem?

Brian M. Sperlongano zelonewolf at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 01:37:23 UTC 2005

On 9/15/05, Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/14/05, Brian M. Sperlongano <zelonewolf at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > I recently bought a PVR-500 to replace my existing low-quality saa7139
> > card. I've finally gotten through the various instructions and have gotten
> > nice high-quality video out of /dev/video0.... but only for about 5 seconds,
> > after which my machine reboots!!! There was a previous thread on the list
> > where someone complained of having problems with KT133 motherboards, and
> > since my mobo (Soyo KT400) uses the KT400 chipset, I thought there might be
> > a problem.
>

> It's a fairly common problem, most VIA-based boards won't even boot with
> PVR-500. It's not strictly a chipset problem, at least one vendor (ASUS)
> acknowleged the problem and released a BIOS update which fixes it. As far as
> I know, Soyo did not, I could not get Soyo Dragon 2 to boot with PVR-500.

Well, I upgraded the drivers on my Soyo KT400 Dragon board today from
version 6 to version 9 and....it worked! No more rebooting problem. So, it
seems at least that this rebooting thing is probably defeated by BIOS
upgrades. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Try the latest BIOS for your board, but if that does not work, you're pretty