[mythtv-users] HDTV Playback causes Segmentation Fault

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 21:21:21 UTC 2005

On 15/09/05, Ian Prowell <iprowell at prowell.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 13:31 -0700, Ian Prowell wrote:
> > I am trying to get HDTV playback working on my MythTV system.  I am
> > recording OTA HDTV with a HD-3000.  The recordings are working fine.  I
> > can see the content in the preview windows when I select the recording,
> > but when I actually go to play the recording the MythTV frontend
> > segfaults.  This happens both on a frontend with a PVR-350 and on a
> > frontend with a Matrox G450.  I know these are not fast enough to
> > playback full HDTV video, but I am trying to transcode it down to a
> > resolution that will work.  The results are the same whether I transcode
> > the files or not.
> <SNIP>
>
> It ends up that mythtranscode was not resizing the video.  My frontend
> was crashing any time it tried to play video bigger than the screen.  I
> got it to resize and playback looks really good compared to the analog
> recordings from my PVR-350 (can you say snowstorm?).
>
> Anywhere I can find pointers on getting the aspect ratio right?  The
> HDTV signal is broadcast for a wide screen TV, but I just have a
> standard TV.  I end up with black bars on all sides of the video.

I think you need to add the DisplaySize option to your xorg.conf so
that MythTV and the video driver know the dimensions (physical) of
your TV. You can find the info in the list archives at Gossamer. This
helps to ensure that video playback only has letterboxing when
watching a widescreen 16:9 recording on a regular 4:3 TV.

HTH,
Nick