[mythtv-users] HDTV Playback causes Segmentation Fault

Ian Prowell iprowell at prowell.org
Thu Sep 15 16:48:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 13:31 -0700, Ian Prowell wrote:
> I am trying to get HDTV playback working on my MythTV system.  I am
> recording OTA HDTV with a HD-3000.  The recordings are working fine.  I
> can see the content in the preview windows when I select the recording,
> but when I actually go to play the recording the MythTV frontend
> segfaults.  This happens both on a frontend with a PVR-350 and on a
> frontend with a Matrox G450.  I know these are not fast enough to
> playback full HDTV video, but I am trying to transcode it down to a
> resolution that will work.  The results are the same whether I transcode
> the files or not.
<SNIP>

It ends up that mythtranscode was not resizing the video.  My frontend
was crashing any time it tried to play video bigger than the screen.  I
got it to resize and playback looks really good compared to the analog
recordings from my PVR-350 (can you say snowstorm?).

Anywhere I can find pointers on getting the aspect ratio right?  The
HDTV signal is broadcast for a wide screen TV, but I just have a
standard TV.  I end up with black bars on all sides of the video.  Also,
is there anyway to transcode to MPEG2 so that I can use the PVR-350
hardware decoder for playback?  I tried to get nuvexport running, but it
just gets errors on FC4.

-Ian