[mythtv-users] Off Topic - DVB-T, Muxes and reception...

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 01:53:25 UTC 2005

On 14/09/05, Jules Gosnell <jules at coredevelopers.net> wrote:
> Stephen Williams wrote:
>
> >Just a quick follow-up to my earlier post. You can see the gain for
> >different aerial groups on the follwoing graph
> >http://www.wrightsaerials.tv/Articles/img/fig%201, Obviously, higher
> >gain is better.
> >

> I see - but I'm not sure which type of aerial I have - it just says it
> is a "high gain digital outdoor aerial"... it's a "masterplug
> aero16-mp", but googling for details gives practically nothing :-(
>
> >The power of the different muxes is given on this page:
> >http://wwww.dtt-tx-info.org/change_tx.htm
> >
> >As you can see, muxes C and D are transmitted at half power compared
> >to the rest. And since mux D is at the highest frequency i'd guess
> >that the one you're having problems with, right? (Mux D shows TMF, The
> >Hits, Ftn, etc).
> >

> Yes, this is the one....
>
> Thinking about it, it's just as bad in our house, which has the aerial
> fitted to the roof (2 storey) and no trees around it. If we are only 3-4
> miles from the transmitter, I don't see how anyone is going to receive
> this mux well...
>
>  I may try a friends booster to see if it will make any difference - I
> don't think it is my connections or aerial, as the digibox in the house
> seems to have the same problem....
>
> Anyway, guys, thanks for all the suggestions. If i find a solution I
> shall let you know.

I'd recommend trying a booster, even living so close. I'm a long way
from the Sutton Coldfield transmitter and need boosters (one in the
loft with the digital aerial before being distributed, and one on the
wall outlet to get decent reception on all channels.

I've also noticed not all DVB cards are created equal in terms of
tuning - my 90002 Nova-T card seems to be much more affected by a
weaker signal than my 2 V-Stream Xpert cards - they also seems to tune
quicker.

Nick