[mythtv-users] Off Topic - DVB-T, Muxes and reception...

Michael Cowell michael at mousewasher.dk
Thu Sep 8 16:55:37 UTC 2005

If the muxes are broadcast at different frequencies (which they would
be), then it is quite possible, even probable, for the SNR (signal to
noise ratio) to be different for each.

The channel between you and the transmitter (which includes the trees)
would have a different response for each carrier frequency. The
amplitude / phase response could be very different for different
carriers. If something between you and the transmitter was, say,
resonant at a particular frequency, that would cause a lot of noise on
that particular frequency, but little on others.

A booster cannot change the signal to nosie ratio - only boost the
amplitude of both. However, that may solve the problem. It all depends
on the amplitude that your tuner needs to be able to effectively
demodulate the data signal from the carrier. If all the other
multiplexed streams are received fine, then you should make sure that
the booster you picks leaves them alone.

Now, unless you buy a good one you're probably going to *decrease* the
SNR for most muxes. So if they are already somewhat prone to error - I'd
be wary about adding more hardware between you and the signal.

I'm not sure how fir trees affect signals at the 100s of MHz range - so
I cannot comment on whether they are the likely cause of your
interference, or whether the problems you are having are indicative of
the channel in your areas, as a whole. Maybe someone in you area could
provide good advice on what they had to do to get a good signal.

Hope that was some help,

Michael