[mythtv-users] Re: Hello all.. i'm the lastest mythnewb looking for advice :D

Boleslaw Ciesielski bolek-mythtv at curl.com
Wed Sep 14 19:22:22 UTC 2005

Tim Hamer wrote:
>> There is a lot of noise on my cable line already - I have a booster on
>> the fork that leads to my TV (other fork goes the cablemodem) - I don't
>> think i want to split it again too much.
 >
> not wanting to split the cable is a good reason to get the 500. both
> tuners work from just one rf input.

Well, there is no free lunch. PVR-500 has an internal splitter, so the
signal strength is halved anyway.

In fact, it can be worse than a separate splitter in some situations.
Suppose that you want two tuners for MythTV and a VCR (or cable box or
plain TV or something).  With two separate tuner cards you can use a
3-way balanced splitter with 5.5dB loss on each leg. With a single
PVR-500 you have to use a 2-way splitter (3.5dB loss on each leg)
combined with the 500's internal splitter, so the signal loss for each
tuner will be something like 7dB (on the other hand the VCR leg will
only have the 3.5dB loss).

Bolek