[mythtv-users] Hello all.. i'm the lastest mythnewb looking for advice :D

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Sep 14 18:52:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 14:31, Derek Meek wrote:
> There is a lot of noise on my cable line already - I have a booster on
> the fork that leads to my TV (other fork goes the cablemodem) - I don't
> think i want to split it again too much.

If the cable company is providing piss poor signal you can try what I
did a couple of years ago.  Was getting lost of snow and static in the
evenings.  After several weeks of phone calls and no results I did the
following.  I used a VCR to record an hour of so of the snow and static
I was getting in the evenings.  I then found the names and addresses of
the local service manager, customer service manager, and the manager of
the cable company.  I then sent a copy of the tape to each with a letter
telling them that if they did not get this corrected in the next week to
disconnect the service.

I got a call from the main manager who gave me a different number to
call when the picture quality degraded.  That week I placed two calls on
it and they had someone out that night to work on the problem.  They got
it cleared up.  Since then I have complained a few times since and they
have come out and resolved the problem.  One time they had a bad crimp
on a distribution line that apparently charred the insulation on the
cable.  They had a huge hole dug in the yard out front to fix that one.

> I do have one question - if we got digital cable is there a TV card out
> there that would decode all of the channels for mythTV?
> Nick wrote:

Not that I know of.  You typically input the digital cable box to a
capture card and use an IR blaster to change channels on the cable box.

Personally I just use the analog signals they send over the cable line.
I canceled all the pay channels many months ago.  Prefer to get the DVDs
for those movies I want to watch instead of all the repeats the pay
channels seem to have.