[mythtv-users] mythbackend fails silenty

Jay Jarvinen jay-lists at 3pound.com
Wed Sep 14 08:16:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:52:50 +0100
Graeme Wilford <gwilford at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had the exact same problem.
>
> Turned out that running mythbackend on the command line caused it to
> pick up mysql.txt from ~root/.mythtv/ and running it via 'service'
> or directly via the init script caused it to pick up mysql.txt from
> /.mythtv/ This is on FC3.

This 'gotcha' got me too. I run it as user 'mythtv', and should have
been editing /home/mythtv/.mythtv/mysql.txt (in my case), which caused
my init.d script to fail at startup, but work for root (after
startup).

(I was changing DBHostName in /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt or
/root/mythtv/mysql.txt instead .. oops)

-Jay

google fodder:

/etc/init.d/mythtv
init.d
startup
boot
No setting found for this machine's BackendServerIP. Please run setup
on this machine and modify the first page of the general settings.