[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase errors: Can; t get channel+ no sound in mythtv

Analabha Roy hariseldon99 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 01:57:31 UTC 2005

On 9/11/05, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/05, Analabha Roy <hariseldon99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I finally decided to uninstall everything and restart. I did and ran
> into
> > problems. I installed the mythconverg database, and tried to start the
> > mythtv-setup utility, but it crashes with the following error:
> >
> > 2005-09-11 16:35:01.954 New DB connection, total: 1
> > Total desktop width=1024, height=768, numscreens=1
> > 2005-09-11 16:35:01.962 Using screen 0, 1024x768 at 0,0
> > Could not find theme: blue
> > 2005-09-11 16:35:01.981 Switching to square mode (blue)
> > mythtv: could not connect to socket
> > mythtv: No such file or directory
> > lirc_init failed for mythtv, see preceding messages
> > 2005-09-11 16:35:02.404 Joystick disabled.
> > Could not find theme: blue
> > Couldn't find theme blue
> > If this is the master backend server:
> > Now, please run 'mythfilldatabase' to populate the database
> > with channel information.
> >

> Hi Analabha
>
> Did you follow Jarod's guide _to the letter_ on a completely new
> installation of FC3?

It was not a completely new installation of FC3. I installed it some months
ago. Does that make a difference?
I believe I followed the instructions to the letter. Just in case, I
uninstalled mythtv, mysql and all it's dependencies, updated my slocate
database, ran "locate mysql" and deleted all the directories that spat out,
and reinstalled mythtv-suite.

No-go, it crashes with the same error message.

I've followed it though several times on
> FC2/3/4/RHEL4 and not had any problems this early on in the install
> (although I am not in the US so use a different grabber).

Make sure the myth themes package is installed (you are using
> atrpms.net <http://atrpms.net> for packages?)

I think so. I have the atrpms.list file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ with the
repos configged.

and that you follow every section in the
> guide through, in order, paying special attention to MySQL.When you
> state you reinstalled the mythconverg database, what exactly did you
> do?

locate mc.sql and deleted it.

This should happen automatically.

> For your audio, make sure the permissions are OK and try using
> /dev/pcm and /dev/mixer as your audio device/mixer.

No device file named 'pcm' in /dev , but there is a /dev/mixer set at
crw------ with my present userid as owner, so I can read and write w/out
being root or anything.

Nick

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try again. I should point out that all my
hardware and device drivers are working (since I can view tv using other
applications, and the bttv module is up and running)