[mythtv-users] For playback only?

Jens Baumeister jens.baumeister at gmail.com
Sat Sep 10 14:42:45 UTC 2005

Hi!

On 9/10/05, Blake <blake at kingdomrpg.com> wrote:
> Is it possible--and is it wise--to setup a mythTV box in pieces?
>
> For example, I'm waiting on my capture card. Can I set up my box to just
> playback recorded video until I'm ready to install the card?

By "playback recorded video", you mean playing back video files from
other sources using MythVideo, right?

That should be possible, but you'd have to install mythbackend, mysql,
etc. anyway - mythfrontend is really just a frontend and needs the
backend to work. So it wouldn't be a partial install - you'd install
the whole thing, but defer setting up the video sources until later.
(The TV-recording and -playback functionality is not a plugin but
central to MythTV, so AFAIK there's no way to defer its installation
to a later date.)

>From my experience, getting the capture card working correctly under
Linux was the hardest bit. Then again, I was using a fairly recent
DVB-T card at a time when DVB-support itself was still new, so I was
not quite on but close to the cutting edge. Adding a working card to
MythTV *should* be rather painless but YMMV.

Jens