[mythtv-users] Non-recording master backend

Todd nospam at tippyturtle.com
Fri Sep 9 00:28:58 UTC 2005

I don't think an EPIA will work unless you are using an MPEG capture card.
It might work, but it will be very close.  I am running an M1000 (neiman) as
a front-end + back-end with no capture.  It runs at 40% CPU usage playing
back, and takes on transcoding jobs from other capturing backends with it is
bored.  (my other backend are frontend+backend and is capturing while I am
watching (Primetime), it is nice to have the recordings transcode when I go
to bed...yes, to watch even more tv if I want!)

You might consider Using a CF to IDE converter (the PC will see it as any
normal HD) for the base OS to load, and NFS mount /var and the other high
transaction, high volume directories.   That keeps things simple, but also
silent.  You don't want to write to CF too much, it supposedly fails much
sooner than an HD.

ToddD