[mythtv-users] Non-recording master backend

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Thu Sep 8 23:55:20 UTC 2005

> On 9/7/05, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:
>>
>> Greetings all
>>
>> I'd like to shift the capture card from my heavy/noisy server backend to
>> the frontend which is an EPIA running diskless with nfs mounts back to
>> the
>> server (this avoids long cable runs).
>>
>> This means I'll have to run the backend code on the EPIA for the capture
>> but I want to keep the mysql, commercial cutting and transcoding on the
>> server (its got 5 times the grunt after all!!).
>>
>> Is this possible and if so, how do I set up please?
>

> Off the top of my head, I'd say you want to set the backend up as a slave,
> set the IP for the current backend as master, mount your nfs properly and
> set up the proper directory structure, put the cards in the front end and
> configure them, and make sure the boxes are checked correct to not allow
> any
> transcoding or commercial cutting jobs to run on that slave.
>
> My question is why you'd want to do that?

Thanks - thats what I thought would be the way, nice to hear confirmation!!

As to why? The EPIA card is considered by some as underpowered as a
frontend only - the fact that it has a mpeg2 hardware decoder is what
saves it!! Asking it to transcode etc as well as handle the realtime tasks
of displaying video without glitches I think is asking for problems. Quiet
is one of the main requirements, hence diskless and reduced CPU load will
help here as well.

My server on the other hand has over 800G of disk, 1G of RAM and a 3G CPU
and it can make as much noise as it wants trying to keep cool as its shut
away!

--
Robin Gilks