[mythtv-users] Non-recording master backend

Ryan Steffes rbsteffes at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 16:05:34 UTC 2005

On 9/7/05, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

> Greetings all
>
> I'd like to shift the capture card from my heavy/noisy server backend to
> the frontend which is an EPIA running diskless with nfs mounts back to the
> server (this avoids long cable runs).
>
> This means I'll have to run the backend code on the EPIA for the capture
> but I want to keep the mysql, commercial cutting and transcoding on the
> server (its got 5 times the grunt after all!!).
>
> Is this possible and if so, how do I set up please?

Off the top of my head, I'd say you want to set the backend up as a slave,
set the IP for the current backend as master, mount your nfs properly and
set up the proper directory structure, put the cards in the front end and
configure them, and make sure the boxes are checked correct to not allow any
transcoding or commercial cutting jobs to run on that slave.

My question is why you'd want to do that?

Ryan