[mythtv-users] Did I get this right? (Set-Up)

Blake blake at kingdomrpg.com
Sat Sep 3 22:23:26 UTC 2005

On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 14:32:48 -0700, Andrew Balmos <abalmos at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just want to make sure that I got all this right before I go and buy
> all the components to make it work...

Well, I'm right where you are...

> This is my set up:
> SA2100 Digital Cable Box (S-VIDEO out)
> Capture Card (need to buy, is there a cheap one that just does S-VIDEO
> would like hardware encoding)
> Display Card (GeForce FX 5200 S-VIDEO or DVI out)
> IR Remote (need to get, the card will be behind me so I need one with
> a long cord I can run across the room)
> IR Transmitter (build on from lirc (will it go say 20 - 25ft?))
>
> This is how it all comes together:
> I use a S-VIDEO Cable to connect my SA2100 to my capture card, MythTV
> comes in here and orchestrates it all, I connect my display card to my
> TV.  The IR remote controls MythTV and when I change the channel the
> IR Transmitter changes my SA2100 box's channel.

This is my understanding, though I've been warned off of having two
separate devices for receiver and transmitter.

> This all that correct? Also, the MythTV box will be running on my main
> system, so will I be able to use my desktop as it is and MythTV with
> the same graphics card?

Um. My guess is that this would be a bad idea unless you're talking really
light activity. Obviousy no gaming but also, I would think, no
disk-intensive stuff. Nothing that would impair the I/O systems being used
by Myth. You don't mention how powerful a machine you're using, either.

Also, you say the system will be behind you? Are you running the s-video
cable across your room? Isn't there degradation that occurs over distance?