[mythtv-users] 350 Tv Out vs. Nvidia 5200

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 31 13:45:48 EST 2005

mythtv-users at fastdruid.co.uk wrote:

>MX440 (5200 or similar should be better)
>Advantages:
>
>Disadvantages:
>Picture quality - supposedly worse[0]
>
>FWIW IMHO unless you want a silent low powered machine or don't have an AGP
>slot I'd say save the pennies
>(or cents) and just get a cheap nvidia card.
>[0] TBH I can't see it but then again I've not got that nice a TV[2], on a
>BFO projector you might.

But on that projector, you would have to be crazy to use TV out.  The
projector or nice TV (with DVI/VGA inputs) would be reason enough to
stop using the PVR-350's output--just so you can get rid of the NTSC
conversion for output.  Even if you're stuck with NTSC input, getting
rid of NTSC output is a huge advantage.

But, I completely agree with your recommendation--use the NVIDIA card.
I also have a PVR-350 whose decoder is going unused...

Mike