[mythtv-users] Window Managers - Success with "ratpoison" instead of kde

Cory Papenfuss papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Oct 29 08:55:25 EDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005, Joe Votour wrote:

> I use a window manager on my MythTV machine (which is
> dedicated to MythTV) because external applications
> like xine won't get proper focus sometimes without a
> window manager.
>
> It's a pain to try to play a DVD in xine, and have it
> behind the MythTV UI.
>
> -- Joe
>
> --- James Grant <topace at lightbox.org> wrote:
>
>> I don't get why people even use a WM (for a
>> dedicated mythtv box)... I run
>> mythtv perfect without any overhead from a windows
>> manager...

 	Exactly.  Ratpoison is the closest thing you can do to run without
a window manager while still running a window manager.  It doesn't draw
any decorations on the screen.  All it does is manage the focus of any
applications.  I tried hard to run without a WM, but mplayer focus killed
me.  I've been ratpoisoning for 18 months now with a raw X startup script
similar to what you mentioned.... although I may try to modify the
implementation to use init to respawn.  Been thinking about that for
awhile.

-Cory