[mythtv-users] Low end experiment with latest Knoppmyth

ffrr ffrr at tpg.com.au
Sun Oct 23 07:44:05 EDT 2005

Nick Rout wrote:

>>This experiment has been very helpful in my understanding just what type
>>of hardware I need for a standalone myth box.  Just thought I'd relate
>>my experiences here in case it was of interest to anyone else,
>>especially after all the great help I have received of late.  Note:  no
>>glitches were apparent during the short test.  I am convinced now at
>>least that this cheap DVB card is a great choice for use with MythTV.
>>When I get a better box, I might put a couple of them in it.
>>

>As I understand it DVB is transmitted in mpeg2 format already,

Yes.

>so there is no need to do an encoding. I doubt your setup would have acceptable performance with a framegabber.

I think you're right.  DVB cards make it very easy for the system to
cope. When my larger system (mandriva, 2.2GHz cpu) is recording in the
background, I never notice it while I'm doing all sorts of things like
email, web browsing etc.

Today I even recorded some audio from a cassette via the line in while
it recorded an afternoon TV show. This wasn't intentional, I just forgot
that mythbackend was running.  (and yes I can hear people saying that's
why a separate myth machine is a good idea - I agree now too :-))