[mythtv-users] Setting up just a backend system?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 22:26:23 EDT 2005

On 19/10/05, Frank Dux <soliant at gmail.com> wrote:
> Can I initially setup mythtv on a box using a pc monitor, then after
> setting up as much as possible, move my mythtv box (backend) to tv and
> connect to tv.  Then if I need to administer mythtv backend box I
> could remote in from another client machine on the network.
>
> As far as watching recorded shows I would use Xbox for frontend?  Is
> this possible and if so what program should I use to remote into
> mythtv backend box ?
>
> Otherwise I'll just buy nvidia based tv-out graphics card.

>From the sounds of it, you are a little confused between the
difference between a "Backend" and a "Frontend".

A Frontend connects to the backend and displays video/menus. A Backend
interfaces with the capture cards and stores the recordings.

The box you describe in the first paragraph sounds like a combined
backend and frontend. That it won't be outputting to a TV makes no
difference, as it will still be outputting (To the PC monitor). As far
as myth is concerned, there is no difference between a TV and a
monitor.

You could then run a second frontend from an XBox (If you wish),
pointing at the same backend, and outputting to a TV. This works well,
as I am running that configuration now.

Just a FYI.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston