[mythtv-users] mythbackend not starting on gentoo

Dirk grosse Osterhues tud-gut at gmx.de
Wed Oct 19 20:26:45 EDT 2005

Hej,

I facing a problem with my mythtv-box (mythtv 0.18.1-r2) the past few
days since I updated mysql to v.4.1.14. mythbackend kicks out the
follwing while starting:

> 2005-10-20 02:15:07.443 New DB connection, total: 1
> Starting up as the master server.
> 2005-10-20 02:15:07.495 New DB connection, total: 2
> 2005-10-20 02:15:07.559 New DB scheduler connection
> 2005-10-20 02:15:07.594 mythbackend version: 0.18.1.20050510-1 www.mythtv.org
> 2005-10-20 02:15:07.594 Enabled verbose msgs : important general
> 0/nfslockfile.lock: No such file or directory
> Unable to open lockfile!
> Be sure that '0' exists and that both
> the directory and that file are writeable by this user.
> Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy

strace tells me that mythbackend connects to the mysql-server and also
gets the right information about the proper locating of the requested file:

> [..]
> read(0, "\22/home/mythtv/store", 19)    = 19
> [..]

So it should find it correctly. I also created a new clean database with
the mc.sql-file and tried mythtv-setup, but that ends up with
segmentation fault and doesn't store anything in the fresh database.

I checked permissions of the mysql-user for mythconverg: they were ok.
Since I got other stuff on that machine which makes also strong use of
mysql and doesn't have any problems with it, there must by a very
specific detail which doesn't fit.

Besides, I forgot to make backup of my my.cnf before emergeing the new
mysql, so it is a very fresh one (although I didn't make any changes to
my old my.cnf anyway).

I don't know if I'm on the right trace to suspect mysql, but since it's
the only thing that changed it was my first idea.

Can anybody lead me to a solution of this?

Thanks anyway for reading 'til here,
Dirk