[mythtv-users] Commercial skips about 5-15 seconds early

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Oct 14 14:28:14 EDT 2005

Chris Pinkham wrote:
>>I'm having an issue recently.  My commercial detection seems to detect
>>perfectly (duration wise) but the commercial skips about 5-15 seconds
>>early.  So I miss 5-15 seconds prior to each break and see about 5-15
>>seconds of the last commercial.  The clocks on both machines are synced
>>up to each other.  My system is made up of master backend, slave
>>backend, and remote frontend.
>>
>>Any suggestions appreciated.
>

> Can you look at the frame numbers for the commercial markers in
> recordedmarkup and see if they match up to the proper frame numbers
> where commercials start/end when you look at them in the editor?
>
> If the frame numbers match up (so commercial detection is correct),
> you can put some debug statements into
> NuppelVideoPlayer::AutoCommercialSkip() to see if this is being
> triggered early for some reason or if frame numbers look off in
> there for some reason.

Chris, this problem has existed for a long time with software encoding
but I hadn't ever wanted to bother you with it. If a file is damaged
by a pegged CPU, temporary loss of signal or any other reason that
might cause a significant number of dropped frames, the commercial
markers will be off by the same amount for the remainder of the show.
I assume that this is because the frame numbers are sequential and
don't count the dropped frames while something else is assuming the
frame number should be time * framerate.

--  bjm