[mythtv-users] Getting started, which tuner card Haup. or NVTV

Paul V. Gratz pgratz at gratz1.com
Fri Oct 14 11:24:24 EDT 2005

On Friday 14 October 2005 10:11 am, Frank Dux wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to figure out which tv tuner card to buy for mythtv.  I
> plan on running Xbox (XBMC mythtv plugin) as frontend.  However, for
> my backend I am trying to decide between Hauppauge series or eVGA NVTV
> series card.
>
> Does eVGA NVTV series cards even work with mythtv ?

Never heard of it so I can't help you there.

> I want to be able to watch TV and record shows at the same time, does
> this mean I need the Hauppauge pvr 500 - dual tuner card ?

Well it means that you want two tuners. I have the pvr 500 myself and I do
like it although its been a bit of work to get the card to work reliably, the
drivers are still fairly new. Once you get it working the quality of the
video is very good, much better than the cheap winTV Go I had before this.

> In summary, I have Xbox frontend so that covers my video out and I
> want to watch and record shows at the same time, so I need a dual
> tuner card, is this right?

Don't know about the Xbox, but I've seen people posting on it so hopefully
someone else will pipe up.