[mythtv-users] OT: MythTV Home Automation

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Wed Oct 12 00:07:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 10:12:04PM +0100, John Harvey wrote:
> I once considered whether we should just look at adding a GUI to something
> like misterhouse (http://www.misterhouse.net ) rather than re-inventing
> everything. I looked at it briefly a while ago and it looked like it could
> do most things and maybe just needs a frontend launching some application or
> maybe just run the browser to it's web interface.

I was thinking along the same lines.  I doubt I would want to stop a
playback to see if the basement light was still on.  If my frontend
machine wasn't running (which is often the case) then checking via a
MythTV menu would be more hassle than it's worth.  It would be really
nice to have X-10 control available as a mythweb module, however.  That
would allow me to check/control the X-10 hardware when I'm at work, etc.
I'm sure there are already home-control web scripts, but having it
integrated into myth means I only have to worry about one login and
securing one portal.

BTW, don't forget that with X-10 you will need to have a module at the
circuit-breaker panel to allow devices on one phase to talk to devices
on the other phase.