[mythtv-users] not getting channel reception on high cable channels

Dave Fallon davef at tetsubo.com
Sun Oct 9 16:45:38 UTC 2005

Hi, I'm a relatively new mythtv user, and I've run into two problems.
These aren't myth issues, per se, but I figured the collective experts
here might have some ideas.

So, I've got a myth box setup with a hauppage PVR-250. I'm using cable
(comcast, in the LA, CA area), and I'm trying to run it direct into the
tuner0 port of the pvr card. This is working for most channels when I
have it set to us-cable-hrc, but channels above 40 aren't working - the
signal is scrambled, I'm just getting audio. Looks like a pay-per-view
channel, almost. It works fine when I plug the cable box back in and run
it direct to the TV. I've been trying to avoid the cable box, as then I
have to figure out how to get the serial port to change channels, but
that's my fallback if I can't figure anything else out.

My second problem is I have a Sony RM-VL1000 remote, which is a decent
but cheap programmable remote. There doesn't seem to be a LIRC config
file out there for 'em, so I was trying to create one via irrecord, but
irrecord isn't getting any input from it. I know the ir setup is working
in general, 'cause I've got the grey hauppage remote that came with the
250 working, and I can get irrecord to learn from that. In desperation I
tried to teach the VL1000 the codes from the grey hauppage remote, then
use that w/ irrecord, but that didn't work either.

So, any thoughts? I've searched around on google a bunch, and been
fairly unsuccessful. I greatly appreciate any help or suggestions people
have - ;) my wife's patience with the me on this is wearing thin.
thanks!

dave