[mythtv-users] RTFM?

chris at cpr.homelinux.net chris at cpr.homelinux.net
Sun Oct 9 05:15:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 10:04:13PM -0700, Frank Simorjay wrote:
> The deal is that the backend is also a racked server I
> plan on leaving in my server room (currently running a fresh install of
> Fedora3). So with this in mind do I still have to equip this box with a decoder
> (video card)? Can I do a very basic install of  X on this system. Use a
> frontend with my HDtv?

You need some minimal X functionality in order to run the mythtv-setup
program on the backend as it only exists as an X client.  The easy
solution is to install vncserver on the backend and connect using a
remote machine.  You will need to configure the backend to either allow
a root-owned X session or else use suid/sudo wrappers so your non-root
user can run mythtv-setup.

Pay careful attention to the "remote front-end" portions of the
documentation.  You will need to configure the mysql server to allow
access from the frontend machine, and will need to tell mythtv the
actual IP address of the backend instead of using localhost.