[mythtv-users] MythTV error log Filled Hard drive.

E Norm One enorm1 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:13:21 UTC 2005

Chris Gackstatter wrote:
> In the process of installing a PVR-500, I got MythTV caught is some sort of
> loop.  Prior to this I had about 235 GB free on my hard drive.  When Myth
> stopped working I checked the mythbackend log that is out put on the screen
> and a saw repeating messages saying my hard drive is full or something to
> that effect.  Being that machine was locked up a did a reboot of the
> machine.  The Machine on which I run my backend is a headless pc that sits
> in my equipment closet in the basement.  The only access I have to the
> machine is to VNC into in from my windows machine.

When (and if) you get this machine up and running again - make sure that
you have a sshd deamon running as well. As a small-footprint backup for
vnc.

> After the reboot  I can VNC into the machine only to see a blank green
> screen.
>

> Being that I can still Samba into the machine with the backend and see all
> the files.  I suspect what has happen is that MythTV filled up my hard drive
> with some sort of error log file and now there is not enough hard drive
> space to start FC4 xWindows.
>

> Can someone tell me which file might contain this large error log, and how
> do I get rid of it?

Typically such logs will be located under /var/log
eg: Gentoo locates those files under /var/log/mythtv

> Or if I missed the point completely and you direct me how to fix this
> problem.
>

> Being that I am not a Linux guy I am sure I used some wrong term here to
> describe the problem.  Please ask question if you need more detail.

Are you able to temporily move some of the .nuv files to your Windoze
machine and reboot? That might give the space you need.