[mythtv-users] PVR-350 TV-Out with Xv support

Jeff Simpson llcooljeff at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 20:01:23 UTC 2005

On 10/5/05, R. Geoffrey Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 16:34:21 -0400, Jeff Simpson wrote:
>
> You might check out: http://groundstate.ca/c3mythtv
>
> Down a ways there is a discussion about compiling the Xv, and XVmc drivers
> for a VIA motherboard... But the process will be exactly the same for you
> to do in gentoo, subject only to a choice of the difference video driver
> you are applying it to.

I'll take a peek at that. I'm pretty sure the problems I'm having have to do
with version numbers or strange things about gentoo that don't work right,
but I'll see if it helps any.

There is another gotcha if you are doing this from source and that is that
> if you are using an oddly named kernel, the modules will get built under
> /lib/modules in a folder called something like 2.6.12-12custom... You
> have to move the drivers to the correct place which is something like
> /lib/modules/2.6.12-12mdk-i686-4GB-up/kernel/drivers etc etc etc...
>
> The compiling itself is nothing... But note, you may have to re-compile X
> from scratch in order to make this work... Not difficult but
> time-consuming.. Takes about 1 and three quarter hours on my Via SP13000
> box...Definitely a start and go to lunch project.

Yeah, it's gentoo, so I'm used to that ;-P I'm trying to work it all into an
ebuild so I can do the whole thing unattended, but I need to be able to do
it manually first, I think.

> Geoffrey
>

> PS... I noticed that you inadvertantly spelt your first name wrong!
> PPS... Unless you live in the Toronto or Ottawa area (in which case you
> might be one of the ones I already know) you are the 4th distinct Jeff
> Simpson I have run across... it's almost as bad as being a Colin Campbell!

Googlism has a lot to say about "Jeff Simpson" including that I'm a Hero in
Cuba, I am leaving MIT to take a job at UNH (ironic since I do in fact work
at MIT....a previous Jeff Simpson that worked at MIT as a chem professor is
now working at UNH). It's also worth noting that jeff simpson is a graduate
of the wealth barber school of journalism, a disco king in his native land
of gouzenko, and an educational consultant based in ukiah. He is also
published by bbc worldwide and is available now, is now offering tai chi
classes at unity, and is on trial.