[mythtv-users] Australian channel scan

Jim Householder nofixed at westnet.com.au
Tue Oct 4 17:21:58 UTC 2005

Phill Edwards wrote:
>>I'm making some progress with mythtv.  Using the excellent guidance at
>>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/fcmyth.php I have 0.18.1-114 running on FC4.
>>
>>Hardware:  V-Stream DTV DVB-T, 2.4GHz P4, 1GB ram
>>
>>I can watch the composite input from a VCR ok, but no digital yet.
>>
>>I adjusted the permissions on /dev/dvb so the card can be seen and
>>identified ok, and the channel scan button is now active in the channel
>>editor.
>>
>>I'm stuck here.  I have no idea how to set up the scan parameters.  I
>>suspect 'auto' is sufficient for most.  All I get is 'no lock'.  I've
>>tried 571625000 for channel 34 (SBS in my area) and 520000000 (start of
>>the UHF band).
>>
>>What frequency should I use?
>

> I think it depends on where you are and what transmitters you are
> near. Have a look at http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/DigitalTvHowto
> for help. I'm in Sydney in view of the Manly antennae so if that helps
> I could tell you my frequencies.
>
> BTW - I use the same cards as you. Would you mind sharing how you got
> them to take input from a VCR as that's something I want to do as
> well.

That's a bit of a problem now...  I have the RCA video out connected to
the composite input of the card, and the audio directly to the line-in
of my sound card.  Works fine now with tvtime, but I can no longer
select the composite input with mythtv.  Don't know how I managed the
first time.

The tzap pointer has helped a lot.  tzap showed me the card was working,
and data from the channel.conf* files got me through the channel scan -
sort of.  I get SBS 1, 2, and EPG, but I need to use the browse function
to switch between them.  The arrow keys don't work.

After the first scan I got one ABC channel and 3 SBS.  I could only
watch the ABC.  At that point I had not tried the browse bit yet, so SBS
was probably there.  Then I stuffed up and started over.  Now I get the
SBS channels but cannot get a lock on the ABC.

I need data for the Mt. Lennard transmitters near Bunbury, WA.

Is there a way to import dvb-utils' channel.conf into mythtv?

TIA
Jim