[mythtv-users] remoting forntend and backend from satellite receiver, TV and A/V receiver

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Tue Oct 4 15:47:30 UTC 2005

Joe Harvell wrote:

> I am planning on setting up Myth and want both my frontend and backend
> to be about 100-120 feet (cable distance) away from my satellite
> receiver, TV, and A/V receiver.  Currently I have a Dish301 (S-video +
> RCA audio out), but I would consider upgrading to another Dish receiver.
>
> Since it's Dish, it sounds like I have to use an IR blaster to control
> the Dish receiver.  So that means I would have the following signals
> carried over the long haul:
>
> First, from the viewing/listening area (Dish receiver is located here
> for WAF):
> - Dish video out -> backend capture card video in
> - Dish audio out -> backend capture card audio in
> - remote IR receiver -> backend IR in (on capture card? on serial or
> USB port?)

Not to challenge your entire architecture, but the dish receiver has to
be only in proximity to the backend.  What is your WAF issue?  I would
say move the backend and receiver to a convenient location out of the
main viewing area and then install a small form factor frontend in place
of the reciever in your viewing area.  This eliminates the long haul
cabling except for CAT5 which could even be eliminated with high speed
wireless.  Depending on the frontend, you might spend more in cables to
get the signal to the watching area than you would in buying the small PC.

Kevin