[mythtv-users] remoting forntend and backend from satellite receiver, TV and A/V receiver

Joe Harvell jharvell at dogpad.net
Tue Oct 4 15:34:09 UTC 2005

I am planning on setting up Myth and want both my frontend and backend
to be about 100-120 feet (cable distance) away from my satellite
receiver, TV, and A/V receiver.  Currently I have a Dish301 (S-video +
RCA audio out), but I would consider upgrading to another Dish receiver.

Since it's Dish, it sounds like I have to use an IR blaster to control
the Dish receiver.  So that means I would have the following signals
carried over the long haul:

First, from the viewing/listening area (Dish receiver is located here
for WAF):
- Dish video out -> backend capture card video in
- Dish audio out -> backend capture card audio in
- remote IR receiver -> backend IR in (on capture card? on serial or USB
port?)

Now from the backend:
- backend video out -> TV video in
- backend audio out -> A/V receiver audio in
- backend remote out (serial port?) -> IR transmitter with LED taped to
DISH receiver IR input.

Any ideas on the best way to carry these signals (i.e. best quality)?
Don't rule out lossles hardware analog<-->digital converters.  Also, I
haven't bought the capture card yet, so that can be chosen to suit the
long haul requirements.

Oh, my TV has two S-video INs and two component INs (1080i, 480p,
480i).  One of these is taken by my DVD player.
My A/V receiver has an optical digital audio IN (taken by my DVD player)
and a coaxial digital audio IN.