[mythtv-users] More Digital Audio Q's

Brian Foddy bfoddy at visi.com
Sun Nov 27 14:19:50 EST 2005

As I get further into my mb selection, I ran across a
Anandtech review on the newer Asus A8N SLI models.
They criticized the Asus by using Realtek ALC850 audio as being very
inferior to the MSI boards that have SB-Live chips on them.
I can try to dig up the actual quote if needed.
I think both are supported by Linux (if someone can verify).

Question, is this a fair criticism?  Especially since I'll be
hooking a coax/optical cable from the S/PDIF port to my
external receiver; where (as I understand the process) my
receiver will do all the actual decoding.

This machine will be used 49 weeks a year as a htpc, and
about 3 weeks as a gaming machine.  But even when gaming,
we only use stereo speakers and don't get too worked up over
sound quality.
Sound quality on the htpc is very important to me, but I want
to understand if using the S/PDIF outs, there will be any difference.

More Thanks,
Brian