[mythtv-users] More Digital Audio Q's

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 27 14:57:09 EST 2005

On Sunday 27 November 2005 14:19, Brian Foddy wrote:
> As I get further into my mb selection, I ran across a
> Anandtech review on the newer Asus A8N SLI models.
> They criticized the Asus by using Realtek ALC850 audio as being very
> inferior to the MSI boards that have SB-Live chips on them.
> I can try to dig up the actual quote if needed.
> I think both are supported by Linux (if someone can verify).
>
> Question, is this a fair criticism?  Especially since I'll be
> hooking a coax/optical cable from the S/PDIF port to my
> external receiver; where (as I understand the process) my
> receiver will do all the actual decoding.
>
> This machine will be used 49 weeks a year as a htpc, and
> about 3 weeks as a gaming machine.  But even when gaming,
> we only use stereo speakers and don't get too worked up over
> sound quality.
> Sound quality on the htpc is very important to me, but I want
> to understand if using the S/PDIF outs, there will be any difference.
>
> More Thanks,
> Brian

I've got an ALC850 working fine, I only use SPDIF output so its ability to do
analog is unimportant to me.
I don't know if the ALC850 does bit-perfect SPDIF output (my guess is not),
but neither do ANY of the Creative chipsets. I can't imagine there being much
difference in the ALC850 and Live! in this regard, so if your using SPDIF
don't worry.

If you require bit-perfect SPDIF output (DVD's 5.1 HDTV) get a Chaintech
AV710, they can be had for $25 from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829120103
it does true 192/24 (which NONE of the Creative chips do) and does true
bit-perfect optical digital output.
Heres a thread about using it in linux:
http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4132&

really, any of the ENVY24HT based cards are what you want for bit-perfect,
there are a few out there, with varying levels of SPDIF support (in/out,
optical/coax) and with DAC of varying levels of quality. Google is your
friend in this regard.

I plan on getting an ENVY24HT card myself once I figure out my exact needs
from the card.

As well, for those with 2 channel audio that want audiophile quality many of
the ENVY cards will spank any of the Creative cards, If you demand the best,
get the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 and be done with it, its analog output will
rival the internal DAC's on cheap AV Receivers (Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony,
Yamaha, etc).

One note for the cheaper ENVY cards, some use a Wolfson DAC which is
excellent, but in a strange manner, not for the front outputs. Check google
on how to get these cards to use this great DAC for stereo listening.

--
Steve